I DIG ENGLISH - just a cool blog about English

I hope you enjoy reading this blog
half as much as I enjoy writing it for you.
Because I have a ball.


Karola

Monday, June 18, 2012

My Digs: Pull a Kanye


Hi guys!

RAMBLING

Let's face it. All we have been talking about is Euro 2012 and the performance of the Polish team. And I know what you're all going to say: "You're guilty yourself, Karolina.” And hell to the yes, I AM GUILTY.

I've been using the Euro 2012 conversation topic for all it's worth. I've been asking my students about their favourite players, favourite moments, favourite Euro 2012 TV commercials (mine is McDonald's') and their result predictions. (There's only so much you can say about the weather.) I've been blowing up your Facebook walls with seemingly innocent football-related hints and I've been glued to the TV screen, following the Euro 2012 coverage.

to ramble – paplać, pisać bez ładu i składu (to talk or write in a confused way, often for a long time)
performance – wyniki (how well/ badly something is done)
hell to the yes – żebyście wiedzieli, że tak (an emphatic 'yes')
for all it's worth – do granic możliwości (to the utmost of one's powers or ability)
There is only so much you can say about the weather. – Temat pogody w końcu się wyczerpie. (You can't talk about the weather all the time).
to blow up someone's Facebook wall – zostawiać dużo postów na czyjejś tablicy (to post a lot)
seemingly – na pozór
a hint – aluzja
coverage – relacja (the reporting of a particular important event or subject)

I don't know about you, but to me, there is something magical about Euro. It makes us all feel like we're seasoned football experts and everyone around is waiting, a notepad in hand, to hear what our take is on a particular match, goal or a player. In our football fantasy world, we gladly and patiently share our enlightened views with everyone (family, friends and complete strangers) and everywhere (in waiting rooms, local bakeries, parks and churches). Madness.

And that's why we should all be thankful that now at least part of the madness is gone. We are no longer a participant, just a co-host, and half of the burden is finally off our shoulders. We can all sit back, relax and enjoy the championship.

seasoned – doświadczony (experienced)
a notepad – notes
my take on something – pogląd (someone's opinion on/ about)
enlightened – oświecone (showing understanding, acting in a positive way, and not following old-fashioned or false beliefs)
burden – ciężar
to sit back – usiąść wygodnie (to sit comfortably with your back against the back of a chair)
(here's) my two cents – wtrącać swoje trzy grosze





DEFINITION

Now, let's move on to the actual topic of today's post, shall we? :)

I would like to discuss a very informal American English phrase: to PULL A

  • It means: to behave like; to act in a similar way to someone.
  • It can refer to a real person or a fictitious character.
  • Names and/ or surnames are most often capitalised, but they might be written in lower case too.

fictitious – fikcyjny
capitalised – pisany wielką literą (pull a Kanye)
in lower case – pisany małą literą (pull a kanye)

CELEBRITIES

Do you believe Oprah would pull a Kim Kardashian and get married on TV?

I kinda wanna pull a Britney Spears and shave my head right now.

Miley Cyrus is crying for help (or at least attention). Why else would she pull a Lindsay Lohan and flash her private parts to the paparazzi for the whole world to see.

If you wear a skimpy dress, use fashion tape to avoid pulling a Janet Jackson.

If I don't find a perfect dress by this weekend, I will have to pull a Kate Middleton and wear the same dress I wore to the last wedding.

If Natalie Portman doesn't win Best Actress for Black Swan I'm gonna drive over to the Kodak Theatre and protest. Maybe climb up on stage and pull a Kanye West.

Just please don't pull a Mark Zuckerberg and steal my ideas and leave me high and dry. That is all that I ask.

why else – z jakich innych powodów (for what other reasons)
to flash – obnażyć (to show one's naked body in public)
skimpy – kusa (showing a lot of body)
fashion tape – dwustronna taśma (double-sided tape)
to leave someone high and dry – zostawić kogoś w trudnej sytuacji (to do something which is not at all convenient for someone and put them in a very difficult situation


SPORTSMEN

Dude, don't pull a Lebron James and abandon me like that.

If Bynum is going to pull a Rodman and take off his shirt, he better be ripped.




I'm gonna pull a Tiger Woods and cheat on this test.

to abandon – pozostawiać (to leave)
ripped – napakowany, umięśniony (muscular)
to cheat on someone – zdradzać kogoś
to cheat on a test – ściągać 

FICTITIOUS CHARACTERS

Oh, I could curl up here and pull a Sleeping Beauty and sleep for a 100 years.




Mondays are definitely my “challenging” days every week – I'd much rather pull a Garfield and go back to bed and sleep until Tuesday!


I'm going insane. I want to pull a Simba and run away to live Hakuna Matata style with a warthog and a meerkat




Uh, oh! Something is going down! I'm gonna pull a scooby doo and solve this mystery.

to curl up – zwinąć się (w kłębek) (to sit or lie in a position with your arms and legs close to your body)
to go insane – oszaleć (to go crazy)
a warthog – guziec
a meerkat – surykatka
to go down – dziać się (happen)


That's all for now :)

Have a great week everyone!

See you in my next post!

Karola

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karola,

    I was very sad after Saturday football game. I felt sorry for the footballers, especially for Tyton as you could see how broken he was after the last whistle. I felt sorry for the all supporters and I loved the view of them singing of being proud in spite of the poor result. I felt then, that Poland is a strong, supporting, united and emotional country (except a few incydents with russian ;) ). It won't be the same now to follow Euro 2012 competition when polish team have been lagged behind :( I am proud of them, as polish representation have never had such good performances before. The boys are cool and I liked the thankfulness which they showed the the supporters on the next day (on the contrary to russian footballers!)
    regards,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very right, Cindy.

      I think that the Polish boys did really well this year. They might have disappointed some, but they still need and deserve support of their fans.

      I brought up the subject because I think that some of us got too worked up and serious about our defeat and there was really no need to ;)

      We can still be happy and enjoy the rest of the matches!

      Delete