I DIG ENGLISH - just a cool blog about English

I hope you enjoy reading this blog
half as much as I enjoy writing it for you.
Because I have a ball.


Karola

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

random word of the day: THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD

random word of the day: THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD

ENG: really good and useful
the best and most useful innovation or development for a long time

POL: dosł. najlepsza rzecz odkąd wynaleźli krojony chleb

(1) Time to confess a personal bias: I love Gmail. I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. I try to be impartial when I write about software and online services, but seriously – of all the free email services out there, why would you use anything else?

TO CONFESS – wyznać (to talk about or admit something that makes you embarrassed, ashamed)
SOFTWARE – oprogramowanie  (a programme, not a device)
BIAS – stronniczość (not being objective, having a favourite)
IMPARTIAL – bezstronny (objective, fair)

(2) So you may be thinking, how do you go so long between washes and not have gross, greasy hair? Well there’s this beautiful thing called dry shampoo. I think it’s the best thing since sliced bread.

GROSS – obrzydliwe (disgusting)
GREASY – brudne (oily, dirty)

(3) Today’s cocktail is being brought to you by Drizly, a website/app that is the best thing since sliced bread. They offer the most amazing service of beer, wine, and liquor delivery. In fact, they don’t just stop there. They can deliver pretty much anything you need to mix up a huge variety of cocktails. Drizly has made it really easy. All you do is go onto their website or app, order what you want, and BAM… your stuff is at your door usually within an hour (seriously?!?!?!).

 A SERVICE – usługa (what a company offers)
LIQUOR – alkohol (alcoholic drink)
A COCKTAIL – drink (an alcoholic drink consisting of a spirit (strong alcohol like vodka) or spirits mixed with other ingredients, such as fruit juice or cream)

(4) I am a true sucker for online ordering. I think it's the best thing since sliced bread because I hate talking on the phone.

TO BE A SUCKER FOR – lubić coś bardzo (to like someone or something very much)


1 comment: