I DIG ENGLISH - just a cool blog about English

I hope you enjoy reading this blog
half as much as I enjoy writing it for you.
Because I have a ball.


Karola

Friday, August 10, 2012

Books and Movies: He's Just Not That Into You

Hi guys!

Since it's summertime and some of you might be up for a bit of lowbrow entertainment, I thought it would be a good idea to present you with my favourite chick flick: He's Just Not That Into You (2009).

I know that some girls despise chick flicks with a passion and wouldn't be caught dead watching one and most guys hate being dragged to the cinema by their GFs to watch movies of this sort. All I want to say to you, chick-flick sceptics, is: give this one a try and if you hate it, you hate it and that's fine, but I have an inkling that you might enjoy it :)

to be up for – mieć ochotę na coś (willing and able to do or take part in an activity)
lowbrow – niewyszukana, prosta (not complicated or demanding much intelligence to be understood)
a chick flick – a film about relationships, romance, etc. that attracts mainly women
to despise – gardzić (to feel a strong dislike for someone or something because you think they are bad or have no value)
I wouldn't be caught dead (doing something) – nigdy w życiu nie zrobił(a)bym (wouldn't like to do it, would rather die than do it)
to drag (somebody somewhere) – zaciągnąc, zawlec (to make someone go somewhere they do not want to go)
a GF – a girlfriend
an inkling – przeczucie (when you think that something is true or likely to happen, although you are not certain)






Let's start from the very beginning, shall we? The idea for the movie came from Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo, who both worked on HBO's Emmy-winning Sex and the City. In one of the episodes, Miranda, the eccentric lawyer, asks Carrie's boyfriend, Jack Berger, for dating advice. Miranda wants Jack to interpret the behaviour of a guy she went out with. After the date, the guy declined Miranda's invitation to come upstairs to her apartment, explaining that he had a meeting in the morning. To that Berger says: He's just not that into you. When a guy's really into you, he's coming upstairs, meeting or no meeting."

to go out with someone – iść z kimś na randkę (to go on a date)
to decline (an invitation) – odmówić (to refuse, to say no)
He's just not that into you. – He doesn't like you that much

For Behrendt and Tuccillo a guy who's not into you is not dating material. They want girls to spot this guy early, break up with him and move on. Tips and tricks on how to do that can be found in the small- sized aptly titled book, He's Just Not That Into You (2005).

to spot – zauważyć, dostrzec (to notice)
to move on – (zapomnieć o czymś) i żyć dalej (to start to continue with your life after a bad experience)
aptly titled – trafnie nazwana (suitably named)






I'm going to be honest with you now. All the guys (as in men) I showed this book to said it was utter rubbish. However, I think that their negative opinion was mainly due to the format of the book, which is a self-help book. What guy would ever own up to reading and/or liking self-help books? None!! In my opinion, while the book might not be a literary gem, it can provide you with a bit of entertainment and maybe even relationship advice. I have selected for you a couple of fragments that I find interesting for different reasons. Some are funny, some silly and some quite true.

utter – kompletna (complete)
rubbish – chłam, szmira, bzdury (something that you think is very low quality or not true)
a self-help book – poradnik
to own up to doing something – przyznać się do czegoś (to admit doing something)
a gem – klejnot, skarb (someone or something that is very good, pleasing or useful)

Are there men who are too busy or have been through something so horrible that it makes it hard to for them to get involved? Yes, but there are so few of them that they should be considered urban legends.

to get involved – zaangażować się ( to start to care about something)
an urban legend – miejska legenda

A man would rather be trampled by elephants that are on fire than tell you that he's just not that into you.

would rather – wolałby (would prefer to)
to trample (on) – deptać (to step heavily on something or someone, causing damage or injury)

He's just not that into you if he's not asking you out. Because if he likes you, trust me, he will ask you out.

to ask somebody out – zaprosić na randkę (to invite somebody to a date)

If we want you, we will find you. If you don't think you gave him enough time to notice you, take the time it took you to notice him and divide it by half.

Have faith. You made an impression. Leave it at that. If he likes you, he'll still remember you after the tsunami, flood, or Red Sox loss. If he doesn't, he's not worth your time.

Leave it at that. – Nie rób nic więcej./ Pozostaw to takim, jakim jest. (Don't try to do anything about it.)

“Busy” is another word for “asshole”. “Asshole” is another word for the guy you're dating.

There's a guy out there who will want to tell everyone that he's your boyfriend. Quit goofing around and go find him.

out there – gdzieś (somewhere)
to quit – przestawać (to stop)
to goof around – wygłupiać się (to spend time doing nothing important or behaving in a silly way)

I'm not ready. This is the most often used excuse in the world, but it always seems to do the trick. Women love waiting around for men to be ready. Listen, we all know that couple who's been dating for five years... eight years and still hasn't gotten married. We know it never works out well for that couple. So how about you stop waiting – and start looking for that guy who can't wait to love you.

to do the trick – działać (to give a desired result)
to wait around – wyczekiwać (to stay in a place and do nothing while you wait for someone to arrive or something to happen)
not to work out well – dobrze się nie kończyć (not to end well)

Don't confuse being classy with being a doormat. Classy is walking away with your head held high, graciously and with dignity. Being a doormat is offering to drive him to the dentist for his root canal.

to confuse something with something else – pomylić (to mix up two separate things or people in your mind
with your head held high – z podniesioną głową
graciously – uprzejmie (politely)
dignity – godność
root canal – leczenie kanałowe

He can take care of his cat.

There's a guy out there who's going to be really happy that you didn't get back together with your crappy ex-boyfriend.

to get back together with – wrócić do kogoś (to be in a relationship again)
crappy – beznadziejny (bad)

List all the things that you want or have ever wanted in a man. Now look at your list. Did “married” or “emotionally unavailablemake that list? Yeah, we didn't think so. You're far too classy and smart for that.

unavailable – nieosiągalny
to make a list – znaleźć się na liście (to be on the list)

Freaks should remain at the circus, not your apartment.

a freak – dziwak ( a strange person)
to remain – pozostać (to stay)

Now, don't tell me you didn't enjoy this selection of quotes :P I had fun leafing through the book and finding them for you I must admit.

to leaf through – wertować (to quickly turn the pages of a book or a magazine, reading only a little of it)

The book was later adapted into a movie by the same title. He's Just Not That Into You (2009), directed by Ken Kwapis, stars Ben Affleck, Jennifer Aniston, Drew Barrymore, Scarlett Johansson, Sasha Alexander, Justin Long, Jennifer Connelly, Ginnifer Goodwin, Kevin Connolly, and Bradley Cooper.

be adapted into a movie – powstała adaptacja filmowa (when a book is made into a movie)
by the same title – o tym samym tytule (with the same title)
to star – mieć w obsadzie (with the cast that includes)
 



There are several plot lines that follow a girl who can't seem to find a guy who will fall for her, a girl who likes to string one guy along, a girl who has been in a relationship for over seven years and still isn't married, a girl who loves online dating and a girl who thinks she has the world's best husband. Interested? No? Watch the trailer and see for yourselves what the movie is about:

a plot line – wątek (a separate story)
to fall for somebody – stracić głowę dla kogoś, zakochać się (to suddenly have strong romantic feelings about someone)
to string somebody along – zwodzić (to deceive someone for a long time about what you are really intending to do)


Oh, and I wouldn't be myself if I didn't throw in a couple of my favourite lines:


Gigi: So Janine says you're a real estate agent.
Conor: Yeah, yeah. But don't worry. I'm not one of those cheesy ones that puts my head shots on bus benches and grocery carts.
Gigi: Aaah, so just like frisbees and notepads.
Conor: Basically.
Gigi: It's much classier.
Conor: My thoughts exactly.

to throw in – dorzucić (to add for free)
real estate – nieruchomości (property in the from of land and buildings)
cheesy – tandetny (of a bad style)
head shots – zdjęcia twarzy (photos of a person's face)
a bus bench – ławka na przystanku autobusowym
a grocery cart – wózek z supermarketu (a trolley)
My thought exactly – Dokładnie to samo myślę. (I think so too)

Conor: Anna gave me the old,"I'll call you right back."
Alex: Oh, shit, yeah? Well, how long ago?
Conor: That was 22 minutes ago. Do I call back?
Alex: Should you call back? No, absolutely not.
Conor:I'm gonna call back and say I'm going to bed.
Alex: What? No. It's 9:30. You're gonna...?
Conor: No, it's a great idea. I'll call and say, "In case you were gonna call me back, don't....because I'll be sleeping." A genius idea.
Alex: Okay, no, that's brilliant. When you wake up you can say, "I'm awake now, I'm available to take your call."

I'm available to take your call – Mogę teraz rozmawiać (You can call me now)

Gigi: He said he always hangs out after work at the City Supper Club. Maybe I should do a little drive-by?
Janine: Please don't. He'll call.

to hang out – spędzać czas, przesiadywać (to spend time)
to do a drive-by – wpaść na chwilę (podróżując samochodem) (to pay a short visit)

Gigi: He ordered more drinks for us when the waitress came. He remembered exactly what I wanted. He initiated the hug. He said it was nice meeting me.
Janine: So wait. This was at the end of the date or the beginning of the date?
Gigi: End. Why, does it matter?
Janine: Yeah. "Nice meeting you" at the beginning of the date, that's normal. "Nice meeting you" at the end of the date... It could be a blowoff.

He initiated the hug – Przytulił mnie. (He hugged me first)
a blowoff – spławienie (rejection)

Alex: And the rule is this: If a guy doesn't call you, he doesn't wanna call you.
Gigi:Really?
Alex: Yeah.
Gigi: Always?
Alex: Yeah, always.
Alex: Look, I know what blowing off a woman looks like, okay? I do it early, I do it often. So trust me when I say if a guy is treating you like he doesn't give a shit...
he genuinely doesn't give a shit. No exceptions.
Gigi: Thank you. Given me a lot to think about.

to blow off – spławiać (to treat someone as if they are not important, to ignore)
genuinely – szczerze, naprawdę (really)

Gigi: He was cute.
Janine: Please, don't cyberstalk him.

to cyberstalk – śledzić w sieci (to stalk on the internet)

Mary: He asked me out.
Co: Oh, my God. He called? (Co – a co-worker)
Mary: Well...
Co: He e-mailed?
Mary: No.
Co: What? Left his calling card with your lady-in-waiting?
Mary: He MySpaced me.
Co: Ouch.
Mary: Oh.
Co: Oh, girl, I don't know about that. My trampy little sister says MySpace is the new booty call.

a calling card – wizytówka (a business card)
a lady-in-waiting – dama dworu (a woman whose job is to help a queen or other woman of high social position)
trampy – źle się prowadząca (of bad reputation)
a booty call – when someone calls the other person to arrange a meeting for sex

Mary: I had this guy leave me a voicemail at work, so I called him at home.
And then he e-mailed me to my BlackBerry, and so I texted to his cell. Then he e-mailed me to my home account and the whole thing just got out of control. And I miss the days where you had one phone number and one answering machine. And that one answering machine housed one cassette tape and that one cassette tape either had a message from the guy or it didn't. And now you have to go around checking all these different portals just to get rejected by seven different technologies. It's exhausting.

a home account – prywatne konto (private e-mail)
to house – mieścić (to contain)

I hope you enjoyed all the quotes and will give the movie or the book a try :)

See you in my next post!

Karola

1 comment: