random word of the day: OF CHOICE – ulubiony, najczęściej wybierany (a personal favourite, something preferred)
(1) Accurate or not, colleagues make all sorts of assumptions about you based on your drink of choice. “Avoid drinks that are clichés of what women order” – fruity concoctions, margaritas, spritzers – cautions Alpana Singh, owner of the Boarding House in Chicago, who a decade ago, at age 26, became the world’s youngest female master sommelier.
accurate – dokładny (precise, right)
to make an assumption – zakładać coś (to accept something to be true without question or proof, to assume)
a cliché – coś oklepanego, typowego (here: an expected, predictable choice)
a concoction – mieszanka, mikstura (the result of mixing different things)
a spritzer – mieszanka białego wina i oranżady (a drink made with white wine and soda)to caution – ostrzegać, przestrzegać (to warn)
a sommelier – a wine expert
(2) Melt the oil in a saucepan over medium heat and whisk in your cocoa of choice. As you let it cool, beat the eggs, honey, salt, and vanilla until fluffy. Once the cocoa mixture is cooled, slowly add it to the eggs mixture.
to melt – rozpuszczać (to turn from something solid into something soft or liquid, or to cause something to do this)
a saucepan – rondelek (deep round pan with straight sides, usually with a handle and a lid, used for cooking things over heat)
to whisk – ubijać trzepaczką (to beat eggs, cream, etc. with a special tool in order to add air and make the food light)
cocoa – kakao (a sweet chocolate drink that is made with a dark brown powder made from cocoa beans
fluffy – puszysty (light and full of air)
(3) You will need to purchase or obtain a copy of a historically significant book from the list below. After you have read your book of choice you will need to write one analytical paper.
to purchase – kupić (to buy)
significant – znacząca, ważna (important)
to obtain – uzyskać (to get, to receive)
(4) My breakfast of choice is oatmeal...I've found that it is one of the only things that sticks with me for a while so I don't find myself starving by the time lunch rolls around.
oatmeal – owsianka (porridge)
it sticks with me – napełnia mój żołądek (it keeps me full/not hungry)
for a while – na jakiś czas (for quite long)
to starve – umierać z głodu (to be extremely hungry)
lunch rolls around – przychodzi czas na lunch (when lunchtime comes)
(5) Katniss learned her archery skills from her father, and she uses a bow to hunt for food. It also becomes her weapon of choice in the arena.
archery – łucznictwo (the art or sport of shooting arrows)
a bow – łuk (weapon for shooting arrows, made of a long thin piece of wood bent into a curve by a tightly stretched string)
a weapon – broń (something you fight with)
(6) We then go upstairs, and he gets changed into his pajamas of choice. He doesn't necessarily choose appropriate ones, such as choosing footed fleece pj's, on a hot August evening ("But Mommy... I want my race car pj's!"), so sometimes there's another little struggle there. But we soldier on.
pajamas =pyjamas = pj’s – piżama
not necessarily – niekoniecznie (not in every case)
footed – z zabudowanymi stopami (covering feet)
fleece – z polaru (made of a warm soft material)
to soldier on – nie poddawać się (to continue doing something although it is difficult)