random word of the day: ON A SCALE OF/FROM ONE TO TEN – w skali od 1 do 10
(How _____ are you/ is it?)
(1) (My student has just come back from Thailand)
Me: On a scale from one to ten how tan are you?
tan – opalona (brown from the sun)
(2) Typically, scaling questions have students rate where they are on a scale from 1 to 10 with 1 being the worst/lowest and 10 being the best/highest.
scaling – przeliczanie w skali (putting something on a scale)
to rate – oceniać, szacować (to judge the value or character of someone or something)
(3) This factor is represented in this study on a scale from 1 to 10, where 1 represents an extremely low degree of quality improvement or enhancement, and 10 represents an extremely high degree of improvement or enhancement.
a factor – czynnik (a fact or situation which influences the result of something)
to represent – oznaczać (to be something, to mean something)
a degree – stopień (an amount or level of something)
improvement – ulepszenie, udoskonalenie (getting better)
enhancement – poprawa, umocnienie (getting better, stronger)
(4) On a scale from one to ten, how hungry are you?” Angela asked, hopping out of the van. “Nine point five.” She responded.
to hop (in/out of the van) – wskakiwać/wyskakiwać (to jump)
(5) On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, how awkward are your hugs?
awkward – niezręczne (embarrassing)
(6) On a scale of 1 to 10, how cool are you?
Rough estimate: ... -3
Well, I dont know, but I bet I’m cooler than Miley Cyrus.
Definitely a 1. I'm a 60 year old fat female nerd beginning to grow a beard. How uncool is that?
A 9, I think.
I’m so cool I can freeze all your food for you.
rough – przybliżony, orientacyjny (fairly correct but not exact or detailed; approximate)
an estimate – szacunek, przybliżone obliczenie ( a guess of what the size, value, amount, cost, etc. of something might be)
I bet – założę się (I’m certain that ...)
to grow a beard – kiedy zaczyna komuś rosnąć broda (when hair starts appearing on your face, especially the chin and cheeks area)
to freeze – zamrażać (to make something cold and therfore last longer)
(7) On a scale of 1 to Lord of The Rings, how much did you walk today?
(8) On a scale of 1 to stepping on a Lego, how much pain are you in?
to step on – nadepnąć, (to put your foot on something by mistake)
(9) On a scale from one to ten (one being a fetus and ten being the boy holding a grenade) how tired are you?
a fetus – płód (a young human being or animal before birth, after the organs have started to develop)
a grenade – granat (a small bomb thrown by hand or shot from a gun)