I DIG ENGLISH - just a cool blog about English

I hope you enjoy reading this blog
half as much as I enjoy writing it for you.
Because I have a ball.


Karola

Sunday, November 9, 2014

How Do I Say It in English: poznać po zapachu





Hi guys!

Have you ever wanted to say the following phrase in English?

poznać kogoś po zapachu

(to be able to tell a person by using your nose rather than seeing them)

If yes, then you are weird :P

Just kidding!

Here’s a fragment of the introduction to Red Dragon (a Hannibal Lecter book) written by the author, Thomas Harris.


Dr. Lecter was asleep and I jumped when he recognized Will Graham by scent without opening his eyes.



to RECOGNIZE SOMEONE BY SCENT


P.S.1 In the fragment quoted above, it’s the author speaking. He describes the process of writing a novel as a series of little discoveries. He doesn’t make anything up as he goes. He is ‘told’ by the characters themselves what happens next.

P.S.2 I hope you don’t mind this type of random posts. I like writing them and will surely be sharing with you more phrases form the Hannibal Lecter series as it’s the one I’m obsessed with at the moment.

WEIRD – dziwny (strange)
to RECOGNIZE/ RECOGNISE – rozpoznać (to know someone or something because you have seen, heard or experienced them before)
a SCENT – zapach (a smell)
to QUOTE – cytować (to repeat the words that someone else has said or written)
a NOVEL – powieść (a long printed story about imaginary characters and events)
to MAKE SOMETHING UP – wymyślić (to invent)
I DON’T MIND … -- nie mam nic przeciwko … (I won’t be annoyed about …)
RANDOM – przypadkowy (not according to a special plan/order)

No comments:

Post a Comment