I DIG ENGLISH - just a cool blog about English

I hope you enjoy reading this blog
half as much as I enjoy writing it for you.
Because I have a ball.


Karola

Monday, November 24, 2014

random word of the day: WE'RE NOT IN KANSAS ANYMORE




random word of the day: WE’RE NOT IN KANSAS ANYMORE

dosł: nie jesteśmy już w Kansas

said when you're in a place or situation that is new for you, makes you feel uncomfortable or scared, etc.

origin: From the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz in which Dorothy says "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."



(1) When I saw that my whole family plus two other people liked my FB page I thought to myself: “Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore,” just like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz did.

(2) I went to the Museum of Modem Art, I thought, "We're not in Kansas anymore." Before that, I'd only seen black-and-white reproductions of art magazines or grainy slides in art history classes.

(3) "Well, Toto,” she said, "we’re not in Kansas anymore.” She’d always wanted to say that under stress, but doing it left her feeling phony, and she was glad nobody had heard.

(4) Your momma used to live at the church on Sunday
You just go to LIV after church on Sunday
Oh Lord, oh Lord we're not in Kansas anymore
We're not in Kansas anymore

(Drake <3)

the ORIGIN – geneza (the beginning or cause of something)

I'VE A FEELING – mam wrażenie (I have a feeling, it seems to me)

GRAINY – ziarniste  (not clear because the many black and white 
or coloured  dots  which make up the image can be seen)

UNDER STRESS – w stresie, będąc zestresowaną (being stressed out)

PHONY – nieszczery, udawany (not honest or not real)

GLAD – wdzięczny (happy about something)
LIV – a nightclub in Miami

LORD  – God

No comments:

Post a Comment