I DIG ENGLISH - just a cool blog about English

I hope you enjoy reading this blog
half as much as I enjoy writing it for you.
Because I have a ball.


Karola

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

random word of the day: CAN’T/ COULDN’T FOR THE LIFE OF ME


random word of the day: CAN’T/ COULDN’T FOR THE LIFE OF ME

POL: nie jestem/ byłam w stanie ... jakkolwiek bym się nie postarała

ENG: I am/ was not able to ... however hard I tried

(1) I can't for the life of me comprehend how this work could possibly require two minds. Still, I suppose when you're working on something this awful you probably want to take a breather every few seconds to keep your brain from exploding.  

to REQUIRE – wymagać (to need)

to TAKE A BREATHER – zrobić sobie przerwę (to take a short break)

to KEEP SOMETHING FROM – zapobiegać (to stop, to prevent)

(2) I can't for the life of me remember where I read this; it may have either been a published article, or one of your posts ...

(3) I couldn't for the life of me think of this movie's title. God bless you, Google.

to THINK OF – przypomnieć sobie (to remember something)

 (4) This is a project I've been wanting to do for a while, but I couldn't for the life of me find yellow foil balloons in the city.

(5) My phone died and I couldn't for the life of me find the charger for it.

a CHARGER – ładowarka (a piece of equipment used for providing a battery with electricity)

(6) This looks really hard to use. I use Xbox and couldn't for the life of me adapt to PS3 controller. I’m gonna struggle with this one.

to ADAPT TO – przystosować się, przyzwyczaić się (to become familiar with a new situation, become adjusted to new conditions)


to STRUGGLE WITH – zmagać się, borykać się (to experience difficulty and make a very great effort in order to do something)

No comments:

Post a Comment