I DIG ENGLISH - just a cool blog about English

I hope you enjoy reading this blog
half as much as I enjoy writing it for you.
Because I have a ball.


Karola

Friday, November 11, 2011

How Do I say It in English: załatwiać



Hi everybody!

I hope you all enjoyed 11 11 11 and experienced some of its magic. Today's post (and hopefully the whole new section) is going to be written from a different angle, namely focusing on situations when you want to say something in English and wonder if it is a word or a phrase a native speaker of English would use in that very context.

The Polish word of today is załatwiać in two different contexts:

(1) Muszę załatwić kilka spraw przed wyjazdem służbowym.
I need to take care of a few things before my business trip.

(2) Mam znajomą, która może ci załatwić pracę.
I've got a friend who can fix you up with a job.

These two phrases can be easily found in a Polish- English dictionary.

If, however, you would like some more options, then read on.

RUN/ DO ERRANDS (run/do an errand)

In context (1) you could also say:

I need to run a few errands before my business trip.

Some other examples:

I've got to run a few errands and then stop by my mother's house.

Sometimes when I just need some peace and quiet, away from the husband and kids, I tell my husband I need to do some errands. But, I really drive to a quiet spot, listen to talk radio and enjoy the alone time

Here's a list of what people mean when they say: “I need to run some errands.”

1.Shopping-usually groceries;
2. Bill paying (paying bills);
3. Picking up or dropping off the kids;
4. Paperwork;
5. I don't want to talk to you right now, but I may want to later, so rather than offend you, I will tell you that I am busy.







HOOK somebody UP WITH something

In context (2) you could also say:

I've got a friend who can hook you up with a job.

Some other examples:

Could you hook me up with some pot.
Do you think you can hook me up with some tickets for tonight?
Can you hook me up with one of those?




In the past, this phrase (hook somebody up with something) was only used in the context of illegal and forbidden items but now it has a broader usage.

GLOSSARY:
an angle – strona, aspekt, punkt widzenia
namely – mianowicie
in that very context – w tym samym kontekście (exact)
read on – czytaj dalej
to stop by – wstąpić, wpaść (to visit someone for a short time, usually on the way to another place)
peace and quiet – cisza i spokój
talk radio – a radio show centred around interviews
to mean – mieć na myśli
groceries – artykuły spożywcze (food)
to pick somebody up (from school) – odbierać ze szkoły
to drop off (my children at school) – podwozić dzieci do szkoły
pot – trawka (marihuana)
forbidden – zakazane (zakazywać – forbid-forbade-forbidden)
a usage – zastosowanie


Sources:


No comments:

Post a Comment