I DIG ENGLISH - just a cool blog about English

I hope you enjoy reading this blog
half as much as I enjoy writing it for you.
Because I have a ball.


Karola

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Story of My Life: Pet Peeves


Hello!

Let's talk pet peeves, shall we? If you have never heard of them, pet peeves are minor annoyances – small things that irritate you in other people – their activities and often habits that are annoying, uncalled-for or plain stupid.




I consider myself an easy-going person, but there are times when I can get pretty cranky and small things can get on my nerves.

Some of my pet peeves are:

  • when people describe their dreams to me. (Come on! The only two people in this world interested in you dreams are yourself and your shrink!)
  • when people put a sad face in their status and then when you ask them what's wrong, they say they would rather not talk about it.
  • when people make negative comments on what unhealthy food or drinks I consume. (As long as I can move around with nobody's help, it's my friggin' business what I eat or drink. End of story.)
  • when people talk loudly on their phones in public places. (I can't focus on my own thoughts, Mr Important!!)
  • when people tell me I should listen to music on my phone rather than on my mp3 player because it's more convenient this way. (No, it isn't!!)
Ok, enough of bitching for now :))

Now take a look at some of other people's pet peeves. You can find them all and many more at
 

  1. Noisy eaters
  2. Kids who tease dogs through a fence.
  3. Couples who sit on the same side of the booth when there is no one on the other side.
  4. People who don't use coasters



     
  5. People who sit next to you on public transportation even when there are other seats available.
  6. Road maps that aren't folded correctly.
  7. Couples that own a dog together and call themselves mommy and daddy.
  8. Guys who leave the toilet seat up.
  9. Dining with a picky eater (they can never order off the menu without customizing every aspect of the meal).
  10. When somebody tosses something toward a garbage can, like they think they're a basketball star, then leave it on the ground after they miss!
  11. Uncomfortable chairs.
  12. Anyone – male or female who says “We’re pregnant”. Are they sharing a uterus?
  13. Clipping your nails at work. 



     
  14. Rappers who thank God at award ceremonies.
  15. The noise styrofoam makes when you rub it together.
  16. People who dress their pets.
  17. People who make you take off your shoes when you go into their house.
  18. People who point at their wrist while asking for the time.
  19. Emails with no subject.
  20. People who don't hold the elevator for you.









backwash – saliva and food particles that get into a drink after someone 
has drunk from it and then stay at the bottom of the bottle.

GLOSSARY:

minor – drobne
uncalled-for – niestosowny, nie na miejscu (describes a criticism, insult, remark or action that is unfair, rude or hurtful and therefore considered to be unnecessary)
plain – zwyczajnie, po prostu (complete) 
cranky – tut. drażliwy, rozdrażniony (easily annoyed or upset)
to get on somebody's nerves – działać komuś na nerwy
a shrink – psychoanalityk
convenient – wygodne
to bitch (about something) – zrzędzić, narzekać
to tease – drażnić
a fence – płot
a booth – boks (in a restaurant)
a coaster – podkładka, podstawek
to fold – składać, zginać (to bend something, especially paper or cloth, so that one part of it lies on the other part, or to be able to be bent in this way)
picky – wybredny (describes someone who is very careful about choosing only what they like )
to customize – dostosowywać do potrzeb klienta, zmieniać pod siebie itp. (to make or change something according to the buyer's or user's needs)
to toss – rzucać
a garbage can – śmietnik
to miss – spudłować
a uterus – macica
to clip (nails) – obcinać
styrofoam – styropian
to point at – pokazywać na, wskazywać na
a wrist – nadgarstek
an elevator – winda
saliva – ślina
particles – cząsteczki


No comments:

Post a Comment