I DIG ENGLISH - just a cool blog about English

I hope you enjoy reading this blog
half as much as I enjoy writing it for you.
Because I have a ball.


Karola

Saturday, March 16, 2013

random word of the day: TO HAVE SOMETHING ON YOU









random word of the day: TO HAVE SOMETHING ON YOU – mieć coś przy sobie (to be holding something or carrying something with you)


(1) So I’m rummaging through this bag to try and find a pen or a pencil or anything. I didn’t even have an eyeliner on me so I just had to sit and think. And for four hours, cause the train was delayed, I had all these ideas bubbling up through my head.

to rummage through (a bag) – szperać, przetrząsać (to search for something by moving things around carelessly)
delayed – opóźniony (late, behind schedule)
to bubble up – bulgotać, wrzeć, pojawiać się niespodziewanie (to produce bubbles, to appear suddenly)

(2) The sign on the door says $10. Nothing is $10. She quoted me $40 which means she probably is psychic because that's all I had on me.

to quote (a price) – podawać cenę  (to give a price, especially one that will be charged for doing a piece of work)
a psychic – jasnowidzka, wróżka (a person who has a special mental ability, for example being able to know what will happen in the future or what people are thinking)

(3) I sobbed the whole way through my ceremony and I had no tissues on me. I made sure my four bridesmaids all had tissues, yet not one of them thought to give me one! Have yourself a little matching bag, with tissues, lippy and a compact in it, just in case. Half my photos are of me pulling a face, trying to keep my nose from running. Not my most attractive moment!

to sob – szlochać (to cry noisily, taking in deep breaths)
the whole way through – podczas całej/całego (during the whole)
a tissue – chusteczka (a Kleenex, a handkerchief)
a bridesmaid – druhna (a girl or woman who during the marriage ceremony helps the woman who is getting married)
yet – ale (but)
not one of them – ani jedna (none of them)
matching – pasująca (of the same colour)
a lippy – pomadka, szminka (a lipstick)
a compact – lusterko lub puderniczka z lusterkiem (a mirror or pressed powder with a mirror)
just in case – tak na wszelki wypadek (just in case something happens)
to pull a face – robić minę (to make a face, to have a strange expression on your face)

(4) I had a knife pulled on me in Sydney which is definitely my least favourite experience in all my years of travelling the globe – of all the stupid people to rob though, a backpacker? All I had on me was about $20 and lots of smelly underwear. I think the guy was kind of disappointed!

to pull a knife on somebody grozić komuś nożem (to bring out a knife suddenly so that it is ready for use against someone)
to travel the globe – to tavel around the world
a backpacker – turysta podróżujący z plecakiem na plecach (a person who travels with a backpack)

2 comments: