I DIG ENGLISH - just a cool blog about English

I hope you enjoy reading this blog
half as much as I enjoy writing it for you.
Because I have a ball.


Karola

Saturday, March 2, 2013

random word of the day: TO HAVE A GO AT SOMEONE featuring Karl Pilkington




random word of the day: 
TO HAVE A GO AT SOMEBODY/SOMETHING – krytykować, atakować słownie, zbesztać, czepiać się (to criticize, attack verbally, to tell somebody off, to pick on someone)

(1) My Mum always has a go at me for not participating in the conversation at the dinner table. It’s like, I really don’t care if she’s low on cash or how someone complimented her nails at work today.

to participate – brać udział (to take part in an activity)
be low on something – wyczerpywać zapasy czegoś (to have nearly finished a supply of something)

(2) My girlfriend always has a go at me for pinching her stuff from the bathroom. Is there any real difference between men’s products and women’s products?

to pinch – zwinąć, zwędzić (to steal something, to take something without asking)

(3) Why are you having a go at me? I wasn't implying that what you said was a lie. Just that what you said had happened was strange.

to imply – sugerować, dawać do zrozumienia (to communicate an idea or feeling without saying it directly, to hint)

(4) Are you having a go at my woodworking skills? :D Yeah you are right, wood and me don’t get along well. I’m more of a metal and plastic man.

woodworking/ woodwork – stolarstwo (the activity of making objects such as furniture from wood)
Wood and I don’t get along well. – Drewno i ja to nie najlepsze połączenie. (I’m not got with wood// Wood and I don’t mesh well together.)

watch the vid and skip to 03:18




(5) Steve: Many of our listeners, Karl, are aware that you’re sort of fascinated by smaller people.
Ricky: Well, he’s fascinated by difference, I think.
Steve: Yes …
Ricky: I don’t think he’s having a go at people. You know. When you sort of stare at someone cause they don’t look like you, and let’s face it, most people don’t look like you. You’re not having a go, are you?
Karl: Well, it’s like I said, the first time I saw Steve I was never having a go. I was just: “oh, that’s different.”
Ricky: /laughs/
Karl: You know, like, you know, Steve. I was never having a go. It’s just that thing of: “Oh, right, interesting.”
Ricky: What do you mean?
Karl: No, just, you know, with – I’ve said it before. I’ve got used to it. And
Ricky: He’s got used to it? What?
Steve: You know my feeling with this. I don’t really know where he’s coming from.
Karl: But Steve knows I’m not having a go either.

sort of – jakby (kind of)
to stare at someone – przyglądać , wpatrywać, gapić się (to look for a long time with the eyes wide open, especially when surprised, frightened or thinking )
cause – because
Let’s face it. – Spójrzmy prawdzie w oczy . (Let’s admit it.)
to get used to something – przyzwyczaić się (to have done something so many times that you accept it and don’t mind it/ don’t think it’s strange)
I don’t really know where he’s coming from. – I don’t really understand him.
I know where you are coming from. – I understand you./ I know what you mean






Hi guys!

I think I owe you an explanation for example (5) :) It’s a fragment of The Ricky Gervais Show, a cartoon TV show about three friends: Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington having pointless discussions about life. The show was originally a podcast, but it proved so popular that animation was added and it became a TV show that ran on HBO and E4 for three seasons.  

to owe somebody an explanation – być komuś winnym wyjaśnienie (to feel the need to explain to someone why you have done something)
to prove – okazać się (to turn out to be)

Despite the name, the show centres around Karl and his unique way of perceiving the world, which Ricky and Steve like to mock mercilessly. If you watch it for the first time, you might think they are bullies and that poor Karl doesn’t deserve all the mean comments, but Karl is a really good sport about that and he doesn’t mind all the verbal abuse. If anything, it seems like the three of them are good chums off the show.

to perceive – postrzegać (to have a certain opinion about something)
to mock – kpić, wyśmiewać (to make fun of, to laugh at someone, often by copying them in a funny but unkind way)
mercilessly – bezlitośnie (without pity/having no scruples)
a bully – oprawca, osoba znęcająca się nad słabszymi (someone who hurts or frightens someone who is smaller or less powerful than them, often forcing them to do something they do not want to do)
to be a good sport about something – nie mazgaić się i chętnie  brać udział w zabawie, nawet jeśli jest się wyśmiewanym/ nie za dobrze traktowanym  (to not complain about something unpleasant during an activity with others)
abuse – obelgi, wyzwiska (rude and offensive words said to another person, name-calling)
if anything – wręcz przeciwnie (on the contrary even)
a chum – kumpel (a friend, a pal)

When I was first introduced to Ricky’s podcasts by a friend (who’s probably gloating now :P), I wasn’t very impressed. British humour had never done it for me. A few years later, though, when, after watching Ricky’s Golden Globes performance, I saw the show in my YouTube suggestions, I gave it a try and now I think that both Ricky and his show are hilarious. You simply must check it out if you haven’t!!!

be (first) introduced to something – być zapoznanym z czymś (to be shown or recommended something by someone else)
to gloat – napawać się, tryumfować (to feel or express great pleasure or satisfaction because of your own success or good luck, or someone else's failure or bad luck)
It doesn’t do it for me – I don’t like it. It doesn’t excite/impress me.

Hope you enjoyed the post :)

Have a great weekend!

Karola


No comments:

Post a Comment