I DIG ENGLISH - just a cool blog about English

I hope you enjoy reading this blog
half as much as I enjoy writing it for you.
Because I have a ball.


Karola

Monday, February 25, 2013

random word of the day: MOSH PIT


random word of the day: MOSH PIT – miejsce pod sceną, gdzie ludzie tańczą agresywnie obijając się o siebie (the area near the front of the stage at punk rock and metal concerts where fans dance pushing and running into one another)

(1) I took my girlfriend to her first heavy metal concert a few years ago. I didn't want to put her in harm's way, so we stood off to the side. I'm usually in the mosh pit, but for the first time I was off to the side and watching. I was amazed at what I saw.

to put somebody in harm’s way – narażać się na niebezpieczeństwo (to do something potentially dangerous)
to stand off to the side – stać z boku (not to stand in the centre)

(2) Whether in the mosh pit or out, you need to keep your hands and more specifically, your arms prepared. Don't look like you're ready to strike someone, but certainly don't put yourself in a position where your hands are going to be stuck to your sides. You may accidentally get your face knocked by someone's skull flying at you and you weren't ready for it.

to strike (struck, struck) – uderzać (to hit)
be stuck to – być przyklejonym (to be fixed to) (stick-stuck-stuck)
to knock – uderzać (to hit, especially forcefully, and cause to move or fall)
a skull – czaszka (the bones of the head, which surround the brain and give the head its shape)


 (3) Moshing, also known as slam dancing, is a style of dance whose participants push or slam into one another, usually while moving in a circle. Moshing usually happens in a mosh pit and is intended to be energetic, not hurtful.


a participant – uczestnik (a person who takes part in or becomes involved in a particular activity)
to slam – ciskać, rzucać (to move forcefully)
to slam into one another – obijać się o siebie (to collide with one another)
a circle – koło 
intended – zamierzony (planned)
hurtful – bolesny (causing injury or suffering)


(4) Babes surf above the crowd up to the stage while metal heads slam dance in the mosh pit.

babes – laseczki (pretty girls)
metal heads – metale (heavy metal fans)


(5) Remember when we used to slam dance in the mosh pit at Slayer concerts? Kids are such pussies these days.


a pussy (offensive/obraźliwe) – mięczak (a cowardly person)
these days – obecnie, w dzisiejszych czasach (nowadays)
\
Hi guys!

I would like to dedicate this post and this random word of the day to my friend Monika, whom I met at a summer festival in Płock, Poland two years ago. Ever since then I’ve been trying to convince her that I am NOT one of those cool people who go to parties every week and plan their summer around music festivals. (I am one of those uncool people who spend hours in front of their computer screen or curled up in bed with a good book.)

ever since then – od tamtego momentu (starting from that moment)
to convince – przekonać (to persuade)
to plan something around something else – planować z uwzględnieniem (to plan something while taking into consideration something else)
curled up – zwinięta w kłębek (sitting or lying in a position with your arms and legs close to your body)

Monika has asked me for a word that would be a bit rock 'n' roll. I hope I did well :D  

To be honest, I've never followed the rule: Less is more :D

I can’t post a picture of us two from the festival. (Monika would kill me if I ever did that :D). But here are a couple of pretty innocent ones :)

to follow the rule – kierować się zasadą (to do what the rule says)
to do well – odwalić dobrą robotę (to do a good job)
innocent – niewinne (not intended to harm anyone)











I hope we can go somewhere this year too!

Have a great week!

Karola






No comments:

Post a Comment