I DIG ENGLISH - just a cool blog about English

I hope you enjoy reading this blog
half as much as I enjoy writing it for you.
Because I have a ball.


Karola

Sunday, August 17, 2014

HOW-TO: Ice Bucket Challenge





Hi guys!

Have you seen Bill Gates all cold and soaking wet yet?

No? You need to watch this video, then.

He’s a maverick if ever I saw one :D



SOAKING WET – przemoczony do suchej nitki (completely wet)

a MAVERICK – indywidualista (a person who thinks and acts in an independent way, often behaving differently from the expected or usual way)

IF EVER I SAW ONE – niewątpliwie (for sure, surely, used to emphasize that what you are saying is true)




As usual, I’ve picked a few sentences and phrases from the vid and listed them below :)


After I dump this bucket of ice on my head, I get to nominate …

to DUMP – rzucić, spuścić (to put down or drop something in a careless way)

a BUCKET – wiadro (a container with an open top and a handle, often used for carrying liquids)

I GET TO – wolno mi (I can)

TO NOMINATE – nominować (to choose)

a FOUNDER – założyciel (the person who started a company or an organisation)

a CEO – Chief Executive Officer (the person with the most important position in a company)


I’m glad to give to ALS.

ALS – stwardnienie zanikowe boczne, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (a neurodegenerative nerve disease that slowly destroys the brain's ability to move the body, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease, after the beloved baseball player whose career it ended.


It’s a great cause.

a GREAT CAUSE – szlachetny cel (a great, noble reason for doing something)


I want to accept this challenge.

to ACCEPT A CHALLENGE – przyjąć wyzwanie (to decide to do something scary or difficult or simply unpleasant, as in this case.)


I want to do it better than it’s been done.


I’ve been working on this … got this design.

a DESIGN – projekt (a drawing or set of drawings showing how a building or product is to be made and how it will work and look)


There we go.

THERE WE GO – właśnie tak (We have done a good job.)


It’s gonna be great.


I’m here to join the people bringing attention to Lou Gehrig’s Disease by taking the ALS ice bucket challenge.

to JOIN – dołączyć (to be part of people who do the same thing.)

to BRING ATTENTION TO – zwrócić czyjąś uwagę na (to make people look at something or think about something)

a DISEASE – choroba (a sickness, an illness)


I’m gonna challenge three more people.


Consider yourself challenged. – Rzuciłem wam (dosł. tobie) wyzwanie (I’ve just challenged you.)

to CONSIDER – postrzegać (to think of yourself as)


You’ve got 24 hours. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment