I DIG ENGLISH - just a cool blog about English

I hope you enjoy reading this blog
half as much as I enjoy writing it for you.
Because I have a ball.


Karola

Saturday, August 2, 2014

HOW-TO: How not to be picked up at your local gym






Hi guys!

I take it you gorgeous people who read my blog don’t need to go to the gym. But just in case you ever wander into this hostile and alien place, I want you to know that I’ve got your back.


I TAKE IT – zakładam, że (said if you think that what you say is likely to be true, although it is not proved, I believe, I guess)

GORGEOUS – cudowni, śliczni (beautiful)

to WANDER – wędrować, włóczyć się (to walk around slowly in a relaxed way or without any clear purpose or direction

HOSTILE – wrogie, nieprzyjazne (unfriendly)

ALIEN – obce (strange, new)

I’VE GOT YOUR BACK – Możesz na mnie liczyć (I will help and support you.)


No one needs conversation or advances when they are working out in the gym, being all sweaty and concentrated on getting a good workout. But how do you make sure that a girl or a guy doesn’t approach you and asks: “Do you come here often?”

You listen to music.

It’s simple yet brilliant and it should work on most people, girls and boys, like a wall that protects you from the rest of the word. You bring your MP3 player, your phone, or whatever device it is that can produce music, you put your earphones in and voila!


ADVANCES – zaloty (flirting, trying to talk to someone whom you like a lot)

to WORK OUT – wykonywać ćwiczenia fizyczne, ćwiczyć (to do physical exercises)

SWEATY – spocony (wet and sometimes smelly)

a WORKOUT –  trening (a period of physical exercise)

to APPROACH SOMEONE – podchodzić, zbliżać się (to come close to someone)

BRILLIANT – kapitalny (genius)

a DEVICE – urządzenie (a small machine)


Here’s the thing. It works 99.9 % of the time. I already know what you’re going to ask me:” How do I make absolutely sure that no one bothers me at the gym?”

You lip-synch

You move your lips as if you were singing the songs, but no sounds escape your mouth.

Add a few random hand gestures, a smile at no one in particular, some nodding action, and you’re good to go.


HERE’S THE THING – problem w tym, że…. (The main problem is …)

to BOTHER – zawracać głowę, naprzykrzać się (to annoy or cause problems for someone)

to LIP-SYNCH – udawać, że się śpiewa (to pretend to be singing)

to ESCAPE – wydostawać się (to come out)

to NOD – potakiwać  (to move your head down and then up)

AT NO ONE IN PARTICULAR – skierowany do nikogo w szczególności (not directed at someone)


to BE GOOD TO GO – być przygotowanym (to be prepared and ready to do something)



Hope that helps a bit :)

Karola

No comments:

Post a Comment