I DIG ENGLISH - just a cool blog about English

I hope you enjoy reading this blog
half as much as I enjoy writing it for you.
Because I have a ball.


Karola

Sunday, January 13, 2013

random word of the day: AS MUCH AS THE NEXT PERSON







random word of the day: AS MUCH AS THE NEXT PERSON – tak jak każdy (just like anyone else, as much as anyone else)

(1) And you know that I love a good game as much as the next girl, but I would never want to hurt Serena for real. (Blair Waldorf)

(2) I love gaming as much as the next guy but please take good breaks. Make sure you eat something too as I've also missed a meal or two by gaming too long. I'd look up at the clock to see it's 4:30 and I thought to myself 30 more minutes and I'll eat dinner. Next thing I know I look up and it's 10:00 PM.

(3) I like a drink as much as the next man, unless the next man is Mel Gibson! (Ricky Gervais)

(4) I can get my head turned by a good-looking guy as much as the next girl. But sexy doesn't impress me. Smart impresses me, strength of character impresses me. But most of all, I am impressed by kindness. (…) (Lisa Unger)

(5) As much as the next person, I want to be approved of, but I'm not greedy for that stuff. (Colin Firth)


Next thing I know/ knew – zanim się spostrzegłem (unexpectedly)
a drink – here: alcohol
to get my head turned by someone – oglądać się za kimś (to turn around so that you can take a better/longer look at someone who is attractive)
be approved of – być akceptowanym, mieć czyjąś aprobatę (to be accepted, to be seen as good)
to be greedy for – być łasym na coś, żądnym czegoś (wanting a lot more food, money, compliments, etc. than you need)


No comments:

Post a Comment