I DIG ENGLISH - just a cool blog about English

I hope you enjoy reading this blog
half as much as I enjoy writing it for you.
Because I have a ball.


Karola

Sunday, October 28, 2012

random word of the day: STICKS AND STONES








random word of the day: STICKS AND STONES MAY BREAK MY BONES (BUT WORDS CAN NEVER HURT ME)   słowa w odróżnieniu od kamieni nie mogą cię zranić (people cannot be hurt by unpleasant things that are said to them)
(1) Criticism has never bothered me. Sticks and stones may break my bones, and all that.
(2) Throw your sticks and stones. Throw your bombs and your blows. But you're not gonna break my soul.
(3) My mum always told me “Sticks and stones can break your bones. But names will never hurt you.” She lied. Name calling does hurt. Maybe not physically, but mentally.
(4) Sticks and stones may break my bones, But chains and whips excite me.
(5) Sticks and stones may break my bones but that’s okay. I like the pain.
(6) Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me. Unless you wrote my name on a stick and beat me around the head with it.

to bother – dokuczać, sprawiać ból (to make someone feel upset)
and all that – i takie tam (etc.)
a blow – cios (a hard hit with a hand or a weapon)
name calling – przezywanie
chains  – łańcuchy
whips – pejcze, bicze
to beat – uderzać, walić (to hit)


Hi guys!

Today’s random word is actually a proverb. This particular proverb is an old nursery rhyme, which advises children to keep their emotions in check when they are called names or taunted. There are records of the following variations of the proverb:

Sticks and stones will break my bones
But words will never harm me.

Sticks and stones may break my bones
But names will never hurt me.

The stick and stones line is pretty popular and can be used in earnest when discussing bulling and other forms of psychological abuse. However, it can also be used for humorous purposes – as a joke. 

 

a proverb – powiedzenie (a wise saying)
a nursery rhyme – rymowanka (a short and usually very old poem or song for young children)
to keep something in check – kontrolować (to keep something under control)
to taunt – dokuczać, wyśmiewać (to intentionally annoy and upset someone by making unkind remarks to them, laughing at them, etc.)
a record (of something) – zapis (written evidence)
in earnest – na poważnie (seriously)
bulling – znęcanie się psychiczne, tyranizowanie (hurting or frightening someone who is smaller or less powerful than you, often forcing them to do something they do not want to do
psychological abuse – znęcanie się psychiczne 


Have a great week!

Karola 

No comments:

Post a Comment