random word of the day: OOMPH – „to coś”, energia entuzjazm, siła, moc (enthusiasm, vigour, attractiveness, power)
(1) Cleopatra had the oomph factor - charisma, quick thinking ability, and amazing persuasive powers.
(2) It's important to have someone with a bit of oomph in charge of the department.
(3) So how to add a bit of oomph to your closet without breaking the bank? Accessories! Our number one way is with handbags.
(4) I reach for the finishing products that just add a bit of oomph to my hair, making it look less flat.
(5) What adds the oomph factor to this already mouth-watering dish is the cashew.
(6) You want a car with a bit of oomph.
persuasive powers – umiejętnośc perswazji (an ability/ skill of making someone believe/ do something by presenting them with a good reason)
be in charge of – dowodzić (being the person who has control of or is responsible for someone or something)
a closet – szafa, garderoba (a wardrobe)
without breaking the bank – nie wydając fortuny (without spending a fortune)
mouth-watering – apetyczny, smakowity (looking as if it tastes good)
a cashew – orzech nerkowca
to come across – natknąć się (to find something by chance)
with reference to – w odniesieniu do (when talking about)
pronounced – wymawiane (said)
I was looking for some fun facts about Cleopatra for my younger students today when I came across the word ‘oomph’. I had heard it many times before, but mostly with reference to hair and clothes and not personality.
I thought it would be a good idea to include it as a random word of the day and maybe ask you if you’ve heard/ seen this word and, if so, what context it was used in.
Oh, and I love this word when pronounced by British people ;)
See you in my next post!
Catch up with the random words of the day you’ve missed here: