I DIG ENGLISH - just a cool blog about English

I hope you enjoy reading this blog
half as much as I enjoy writing it for you.
Because I have a ball.


Karola

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

random word of the day: OOMPH








random word of the day: OOMPH – „to coś”, energia entuzjazm, siła, moc (enthusiasm, vigour, attractiveness, power)

(1) Cleopatra had the oomph factor - charisma, quick thinking ability, and amazing persuasive powers.

(2) It's important to have someone with a bit of oomph in charge of the department.

(3) So how to add a bit of oomph to your closet without breaking the bank? Accessories! Our number one way is with handbags.

(4) I reach for the finishing products that just add a bit of oomph to my hair, making it look less flat.

(5) What adds the oomph factor to this already mouth-watering dish is the cashew.

(6) You want a car with a bit of oomph.



persuasive  powers – umiejętnośc perswazji (an ability/ skill of making someone believe/ do something by presenting them with a good reason)
be in charge of – dowodzić (being the person who has control of or is responsible for someone or something)
a closet – szafa, garderoba (a wardrobe)
without breaking the bank – nie wydając fortuny (without spending a fortune)
mouth-watering – apetyczny, smakowity (looking as if it tastes good)
a cashew – orzech nerkowca
to come across – natknąć się (to find something by chance)
with reference to – w odniesieniu do (when talking about)
pronounced – wymawiane (said)


CASHEWS



Hi guys!

I was looking for some fun facts about Cleopatra for my younger students today when I came across the word ‘oomph’. I had heard it many times before, but mostly with reference to hair and clothes and not personality.

I thought it would be a good idea to include it as a random word of the day and maybe ask you if you’ve heard/ seen this word and, if so, what context it was used in.


 Oh, and I love this word when pronounced by British people ;)


See you in my next post!


Karola

Catch up with the random words of the day you’ve missed here:





No comments:

Post a Comment