I DIG ENGLISH - just a cool blog about English

I hope you enjoy reading this blog
half as much as I enjoy writing it for you.
Because I have a ball.


Karola

Friday, December 28, 2012

random word of the day: POINT TAKEN





random word of the day: POINT TAKEN – słuszna uwaga, racja (I take your point. I accept what you’ve just said. You argument sounds convincing)

(1) "Thought it was you," he said with another smile. "Don't you have an umbrella?" Cam fought the urge to roll her eyes. "Would I be standing here getting wet if I did?" "Point taken," he replied feeling a little foolish for asking that question.

(2) I’m wearing purple docs with black and grey leg warmers and a pencil skirt. Do you think I really care if my pendant is a different shade of green than my top? Point taken, she replied.

(3) “Why don’t you emphasize the importance of a good education to increase their self-esteem and improve their positions in life?” Ron asked. “Get real, Ron!” I replied.” I’ve been a teacher for 30 years. If you had the choice of receiving an A+ on a test or a new iPhone, which would you chose?”  “Point taken,” he replied.

(4) “I like your scarf,” he said. “Not a lot of people can get away with that look.” I got the feeling he meant that no one could get away with the look, and I started laughing. “Point taken,” I said and took off my scarf. He quickly wrapped it around his own head. ‘You’re right,” I said and pulled it off his head.

(5) Trent Reznor’s smile seemed out of place, but not to him. ''Everyone has this impression of me that I'm morose,'' he complained. An interviewer pointed out that the albums he has made as Nine Inch Nails over the last decade are saturated in despair. ''Point taken,'' he said.


convincing – przekonujący (able to make you believe that something is true or right)

to fight the urge to – starać się powstrzymać silną potrzebę/silne pragnienie (try to control a strong wish to do something)

to roll one’s eyes – wywracać oczami (to move your eyes upwards as a way of showing that you are annoyed or bored)

foolish – głupi, niemądry (stupid, silly)

docs – martensy (Dr. Martens shoes)

a pendant – wisiorek (a piece of jewellery which is worn round the neck, consisting of a long chain with an object hanging from it)

a shade – odcień (a type of colour)
to emphasize – podkreślić (to highlight, to stress)

to increase – zwiększyć (to make something bigger or to become bigger)
self-esteem – poczucie własnej wartości (belief and confidence in your own ability and value)
to improve – polepszyć (to make better)
Get real !–Zejdź na ziemię! (Stop living in a fantasy world!)


to get away with something – zrobić coś bezkarnie, bez konsekwencji, tu: dobrze wyglądać (to succeed in avoiding punishment for something, here: to pull something off, to look good in something)

to wrap something around something – owijać (to cover or surround something with paper, cloth or other material)

out of place – nie na miejscu, niestosowny (innapropriate, strange)

an impression – wrażenie (an idea or opinion of what something/someone is like)

morose – posępny, ponury (unhappy, annoyed and unwilling to speak or smile;  sullen)

to complain – skarżyć się na coś, narzekać (to say that something is wrong and be sad about it)

to point out – zwracać uwagę na (to tell someone about some information, often because you believe they do not know it or have forgotten it)

to be saturated in – wypełniony, przesycony (to be filled completely with)



DOCS

LEG WARMERS

PENCIL SKIRT

CASSETTE PENDANT


No comments:

Post a Comment